I travel for work… a lot. Which means I am connecting to a lot of WIFI networks. Yes, I know security issues but hey I have to get work done no matter where I am.
Issue: Long logon / Logoff and Guest WIFI redirects failing
Recently, I was experiencing extraordinarily long Logon and Logoff times. It was highly infuriating and I didn’t have a clue what was causing it. A little digging gave me a method to see what was taking so long. This also led me to why I couldn’t connect to wifi gateways for guest logon.
Enable Verbose Logon Status Messages
To use enable verbose status messages by editing the registry, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry key:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type verbosestatus, and then press ENTER.
- Double-click the new key that you created, type
1 in the Value data box, and then click
- Quit Registry Editor.
Note Windows does not display status messages if the following key is present and the value is set to 1: