Solution: Run windows update via Command line wuauclt.exe /updatenow
Several of the most recent Windows Insider builds have had issues. Mainly performance delays of an hour. How did this miss Canary… but here we are. Good news the 17735 build came out that looks to address the overlay issue of Settings. Why is this important? Well you can’t get off this bad build until you run windows update. However, one of the bugs is the inability to run Windows update. Catch-22?
Command line to the rescue. If you are running a windows 10 tablet without a keyboard here is your method. You can skip several of these steps if you have a keyboard.
- Click and hold the start key (equivalent of Windows Key + X or right click)
- Select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- If you are on 17733 you might have to come back to the device in 60 minutes before you are prompted for UAC
- Once in PowerShell you can type CMD
- This will open a command prompt in C:\windows\system32
- Type in and execute wuauclt.exe /updatenow
- Check start >> Reboot to see it you have a Update and Restart option
- If you don’t just wait or type in the keyboard command again